A strong woman believes that she's strong enough to face her journey, but a woman of strength has faith that it is in this journey that she will become strong.







Friday, May 6, 2011

my greatest blessing calls me mommy

I'm lucky enough to have three mothers in my life and am thankful for each one for shaping me into the person I am today and guiding me through my journey in motherhood. My mom, although we've had our differences along the way and haven't seen eye to eye on many things, one thing we always agree on, is our pure respect and admiration for each other. She and my dad have always been the first and sometimes the only people to tell me how proud they are of me, as a daughter, wife, an employee and a mother. They provided me with the foundation to grow and mature into the person I am. My mom has supported me in everything I do, she's always been just a phone call away and will always drop anything she's doing to help me out. I take pride in making them proud, the values she's given me give me the strength to continue to be successful in more ways that she could know.

My second mom, Judy. She has been in my life for almost 20 years and has played a big part in who I have become. Growing up she was the 'cool' mom. The one you could talk to about anything and was always a 'judgement free' zone. She is still the cool mom and in most ways I'm closer to her than my own mom, she knows all my secrets, my ins and outs, up and downs and all because, she never judges me. I can be my complete and total self around her with no reservations and I always leave knowing she loves me.  She's the strongest person I know, overcoming a parent's worst nightmare of losing a child. She exudes strength like no other and even when she has 'bad' days, we can still see the strength beneath the tears.  She inspires me everyday to live for the day, she makes me happy, she makes me, me.


My mother in law, Rita. The giver, she would spend all her money buying for her children and grand-children. Nothing makes her more happy than getting up early on a Saturday morning to find the best yard sales in town. She loves to give. Rarely does she come home with something for herself, she spends hours picking out the best Gymboree clothes for the babies because giving makes her happy. We also had our differences in the raising of my child and I can take that in stride now, she's a nurturer and its hard for her to let someone else do the nurturing. She exudes love for her loved ones, her favorite place is anywhere her family is. After all, isn't that what is most important in life? your family. I'm thankful to have married into such a loving, welcoming, giving family.

With such great influences in my life, I strive everyday to absorb everything I can from these amazing ladies. I can only hope that I can be as great of a mother as they are as I continue down my journey of parenthood. I hope to have a strong relationship with my daughter, balancing friendship and being a parent, balancing honesty and overbearing and giving her the best of me, every day of my life. I know being a parent is a challenge but I also know the hurt that comes along with not being able to really celebrate Mother's Day, I know how much this upcoming day sucks for an infertile, I know the pain and silent grief that hides behind the smile of an infertile on a day like today and I know just how blessed I am. Wherever my path in life takes me, no matter what gets thrown my way, I'm a survivor. I was born to be stubborn, to be a little bitchy, to push people and push myself. I was taught to never take life for granted, to live a little and love with everything I had, to never give up, to believe in myself but most of all, fight for myself.

Happy Mother's Day!


1 comment: