A strong woman believes that she's strong enough to face her journey, but a woman of strength has faith that it is in this journey that she will become strong.







Friday, June 1, 2012

ditch dwelling

Lily Grace had a glorious 4th birthday, aside from me and her having to drive 30 minutes with a melting cake and a little party awkwardness. I don't know how I managed to salvage the cake, it was sliding off of the cake round, onto my passenger seat, blue icing everywhere, I was trying to hold it in place while driving, blasting the AC to try and keep it cool and Lily's in the back freaking out about how cold it is in the car. Pretty much everything I do is CHAOS. But clearly, that's just how I roll. I spent the morning and day with her so her dad got her for the night. I thought the hustle and bustle from the day was over and I could relax a little, I usually don't. I'm going, always.



 Disclaimer before you read the rest of my story: if you judge, you should probably just stop reading. Just kidding, sort of. I kind of judged myself on this one.  I went to a little get together and wandered down the road, it was dark and about 10pm. I'm walking up the side of the road texting and the next thing I remember is gasping for air in a ditch. HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN!? I was about three feet down covered in stank ass swamp mud. I was out of the water but unable to get out of the ditch. Luckily, or by the grace of god rather, there was a couple on their front porch right across from where I fell. I just kept yelling help and they came over and pulled me out and walked me back up to the get together. Just a fall in swamp water in a ditch shouldn't be so bad, right? Wrong. I looked like a horror show. I made my friends get me to the shower to clean up, I was covered in mud from head to toe. I finally caught a glimpse of my face. I was wrecked. None of us could understand how such injuries could come from falling into a ditch and I remembered absolutely nothing. I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance because off the three inch knot on my forehead. I was pretty loopy in the ambulance, I kept making the EMT tell me we were in a helicopter and being a good sport, he went along with it. He was just trying to keep me awake and conscious but I give him props for it. I had three gashes that had to be cleaned and fixed, they did a CT scan of my head, an xray of my elbow and ankle and diagnosed me with a concussion, which is why I couldn't remember what happened. I got discharged early that morning with some pain pills and an antibiotic. A few of us walked down to where I fell to see if we could find my shoes and phone and it was clear what happened. One of my shoes was caught under a vine, I fell face first into a metal grate by a culvert and right onto rocks. It could have been a alot worse, I could have been knocked unconscious and drowned, I could have been impaled by one of two metal rods on either side of the grate. I am thankful to be alive. It just goes to show how at any given moment, everything could change. We were walking back up and I just started crying, happy to be given another chance tears. God has bigger plans for me and after the realization that all that I have could've been taken away in and instant, I'll make sure to do whatever it is that I'm here to do.  That day happened to be Mother's Day. Happy friggin mothers day, you look like Halloween. I couldn't even see my baby that day because it literally would have scared the shit out of her. I waited two days to see her, I needed the swelling to go down some and was hoping my black eye would start to heal. She was slightly, ok more than slightly, concerned when she finally did see me, but only concerned that I was ok. "She was all, maybe you need a band aid!" I was so happy to see her, smell her, breathe her in. I very easily could have never had the chance to do that again if things went differently only a few short nights before. The only moment you are certain of having is the one you're in, breathe in each one you are gifted.

Metal grate, meet my face. Face, meet metal grate.

Halloween mask

*****
I finally grew a pair and went to the eye Dr and as expected, I needed glasses. I knew I did, especially for driving. When leaves look like squirrels and street signs have no meaning I figured it was time to go. I actually like the pair I picked out, they make me look smart, like I know what I'm talking about. And its like a whole new world. The trees have leaves. THE TREES HAVE FRIGGIN LEAVES. Its glorious.

Have a great weekend, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment